Thursday 29 March 2007

Itchy Feet

Hi all you avid fans!!, I thought I'd better put a few lines on the blog as it seems to have been neglected this last week or so, the only thing is having something interesting to write that people might want to know?
I suppose it's a bit like Big Brother, we all think it's stupid and boring but we can't help but tune in when it's on!!
You may have seen a recent mention about Steen and Nicola coming over for a few days, well unfortunately they're not able to make it (seems like Steen has finally bit the bullet and got all responsible and found himself a job), so because me and Matt will be "out of work" at the end of April we have decided to go and see them instead.
Its gonna be a bit of a hectic week for us as it's the weekend before we start our RTW trip, but it'll be a good warm up for us!!
Had a call from our Estate Agents today, they are showing some potential tenants round the flat on Saturday, it's the first viewing we've had so we can't really complain plus we wont be in either so we don't have to make small talk and tell them what a lovely flat it is and how happy we've been there ra ra ra.
Hopefully they will like it and move in, that way we may get our deposit back a bit sooner, that said it took Matt months to get his last one back, it seems that the Estate Agents don't want anything to do with you once you move out so you just have to live in hope that the actual landlord plays ball and doesn't start quibbling over specks of dust on his furniture etc.
As tenants you have no legal standing at all, you are expected to hand over your deposit when you move in according to the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement, but you can bet your life there will be something that's not right when you move out,the Landlord then disputes the full return of your money and it is then up to you both to come to an "amicable" agreement over what will be returned, it's all a massive con, a few of my work colleagues have also experienced the same problem.
We have booked a hire van to move out all our stuff, we haven't really got any furniture as we purposely downsized everything the last time we moved as we always knew we would be going travelling, so we don't have to worry about paying hefty storage costs while were away.
The one thing I am worried about when we go away is my plants!!, I know that probably sounds strange for all you plant less people, but I've got quite a few sturdy yuccas and cactus that I am really loathe to part with, I'm trying to negotiate temporary accommodation for them while were away, (surely there's a business opportunity there? a plant sitting service?!?!)
The last time I went away for a considerable length of time, I asked my best friend Rachael if she would look after my plants, at that time I had two massive cheese plants, a couple of yuccas and a few quite robust spider plants, anyway Rach agreed that yes no problem she would look after them until I got back, she would keep them in her conservatory til I got back.
I was made up and arranged to take them all round (a task in itself)
Anyway the months passed, we got back home, and I got in touch with Rach to catch up and said that I would be able to pick my plants up, thanks for having them etc... she had only thrown them ALL away, in a SKIP!! I thought she was joking but no, she'd binned the lot, apparently she got sick of them been in the way!!
She remains my best friend though to this day... I'm not one to hold a grudge!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your blog. If you fancy, bring your plants to Switzerland and we will look after them, in fact I think you still got the one Matt has been growing for me ever since I left Comet :o)

Steen