Wednesday 2 May 2007

Tragic Life Book Section

Afternoon, we're up in Droitwich (Worcs) for a few days seeing my parents and friends before the weekend! We went out with Cookie, Natalie, Ben and Dan last night for a few ciders (it's what they drink round here) and to watch the footie. Tuesday nights in Droitwich aren't renowned for being lively but it was quite a good turnout in the end; got a bit rowdy when Liverpool had a goal dissallowed but it turned out for the best as they won the game on penalties.

We headed out for a walk this afternoon and I showed Michelle the sights; she gets quite annoyed with my running commentary on how things have changed or the history behind places. "That house there used to be an offlicense and they had a really good deal on Breakers lager when we were 17". "Really dear , how interesting!" "Yeah and this road here ; we were in my mum's Talbot Samba and got chased by a couple of bikers for calling their girlfriends slags back at the Esso garage over there." "Oh". Still I suppose everybody likes recapping on their youth and the places they were brought up; maybe they should either do it alone or with people they grew up with!

Anyway, the title of my post is regarding my visit to WH Smith in Victoria Square in Droitwich (pop in if you're in the area as I'm not making this up!). I actually went in looking for a spanish phrase book which we need for South America. My spanish is very limited, I can probably get away for asking for 2 beers and a double room for the night (although not necassarily in that order) so I thought this would be a valuable purchase. Now most bookshops have clearly marked sections "Travel", "Cooking", "Biographies",etc. This shop did have a few of these but what caught my eye was the "Tragic Lifestories" section. I thought it was a joke at first and expected to find books on Paul Daniels, Vanessa Feltz or that bird who used to sing on cruise ships. But no it was a real section with real tragic life stories. I picked one up called "The Boy called It" which was about a kid who had an abusive mother; a sad story indeed, but do you think a whole section of a book shop needs a whole area devoted to these kinds of books. Just goes to show what people like reading (or people in Worcs. anyway)

That's enough ranting from me, hopefully we'll put some pics from Switzerland up tmw when we get to Hull.

Adios

(p.s. I still didn't find a spanish phrase book)

1 comment:

Palace Fan thats a NEW Dad said...

Tragic indeed.

Should of said I have Spanish phrase book you could of borrowed.

Not long now.

Good seing you both on Fridsy and going to miss you both. Had to get a lift in with John Lunn today, went for a few beers after work yesterday. Usual suspects of Nigel, Bryan, Jim and Roland plus Mike Adder. Roly was on form !