Thursday 31 May 2007

Taxi to the Cotopaxi!!

We have been to the Cotopaxi today which is one of the countries highest volcanoes.
It was an organised trip that we booked through a tour agent, you are assigned your own English speaking guide for the day and the group can be anything from 2/8 people, well luckily for us it was only two people on our trip.
The guide was supposed to turn up at 8am but because of some confusion at their offices he didnt actually arrive until 9.30 as he had been sat waiting outside a different hostel at the other side of town, not a great start.
To make matters even worse the weather was lousy, it has been raining and grey all day, despite it been their first day of summer tomorrow (you see it's not just the English weather)
At one point he advised us that it may be a good idea not to go as there wouldnt be much to see due to very poor visibility, but us been tourists and "we've paid our money" we insisted to brave it out.
We were in a 4x4 (yes I know I slagged the yanks of for their use of them but this was a justified cause)and the road through the National Park was no more than a mud track, a very rocky one at that, many times we were almost jostled out of our seats!!
It continued to rain all the way up there and at one point even started snowing, so we werent able to see or do much, we also struggled with the altitude as we were so high up.
The effects are light headedness, a kind of tight feeling around your brain (difficult to explain) and breathlesness, not ideal.
We took lots of pics anyway and when Matt is up he will post them onto the blog (it's all a bit too technical for me)
Next week we are planning on a trip into the jungle, there are all different ones to chose from, depending on the duration you are available for.
Well me been the freak that I am were spiders and insects are concerned has agreed to the 4days and 3 nights one, even that will totally freak me out, but we cannot come all this way and not visit the Amazon, so I am going to grit my teeth and get on with it.
Obviously I will give you all the details when we get back!!!
Jo just read your comment about the pics, Im not the most photogenic person and if Matt had his way I'd be on a lot more of them, everybody knows what I look like and that Im enjoying myself why do they need to see pictures of me to prove it?!?!?
Plus you'd be smiling too if you had 10 months off work to travel round the world!!!
Its the official start of the Ecuadorian summer tomorrow woo hoo, we hoping to get to the coast once we've been to Otovalo and then into the jungle, I reckon I'll need some R&R after that ordeal.
I'm a tourist get me out of here!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog, gives me something to do in the afternoon at Comet. Can see ur enjoying the trip, looks cool from the photos, shame you didn't get one of the ketchup! Keep safe and enjoy, The Sweeney