Wednesday 19 March 2008

Keep Britain Tidy

Does anybody get as wound up as I do about litter? When we were travelling through South America it was like touring through a rubbish tip. I never seen so much garbage, and so little disregard for the environment. It really is about survival out there and they think nothing of throwing their rubbish on the floor, out of the bus window etc. They don't even try to do it discreetly, they don't need to as everybody does it and doesn't know any better.

When we got back I didn't realise just how untidy Britain really is, it's a pit! I was doing a bit of walking before I got back to work and that's when I started to realise just how bad it really is here. There are cans, bottles, carrier bags, fag packets and just litter in general strewn everywhere. There is literally tonnes of the stuff and it is EVERYWHERE! On my drive into work now I go through the little villages rather than try and get caught up in the school run. It's a really nice drive round the country lanes, passing fields with little lambs and even the office I work in is in a rural setting surrounded by rolling hills and greenery. The other morning I was driving behind a Ford Focus and all of a sudden I started seeing litter in the road. I was totally incensed when I realised that it was the driver of the car that was blatantly throwing his rubbish out of the window, with no regard whatsoever for the environment. I felt like driving after him and having a lot off, but whats the point??

Any road..

It's Easter Sunday now, I started this blog last week and realised how boring it was so I decided to stop it. It is really difficult carrying on a blog about your every day existence, because in reality that is all it is, an existence. Got up, went to work, came home watched telly went to bed and did it all again the next day.

We have just been out with 'the family' as it's my mum and dad's 41st wedding anniversary, we also went out with Kirsty's mum and dad as it was Karen's B'Day yesterday. It was lovely we had a BIG carvery and it was spot on, the only thing that spoiled the day was a FAT anti-smoker. Now I'm not a smoker but each to their own, I'm a lot happier that it's now banned from pubs as there is nothing worse than going home stinking of smoke. My mum and Kirsty's went outside for a fag before their lunch and while they were out there a (fat) woman walked past and expressed her views on smoking, which was something along the lines of 'dirty smokers' nothing was said back but then the same woman came back and gave my mum and K's a mouthful and said that she 'hopes they both die of cancer' Well for a couple of women who were out trying to celebrate their wedding anniversary and Birthday I'd say it was a bit harsh. Alright we all have our own views and fair do's that she called em dirty smokers, but to wish that upon them. To Karens credit she did come straight back at her with some expletives and reference to the womans size, but even so it was very uncalled for and we were all a bit annoyed about it. Luckily the lovely lunch more than made up for the fat womans remarks.

On Friday Ben, Dan and Cookie came up for a night on the razzle dazzle, again it was a good night but the weather was lousy. We had planned to go into town the next day, but it was agreed that we had all had a little bit too much to drink, to fully appreciate the copious amount of £ shops in Hull. Don't worry though kids there will probably be twice as many next time you come up, Hull people love £ shops. I do remember trying to convince Ben and Dan to move up to Hull, you would think I was an estate agent the way I was rattling on at them, so apologies for the rant. That said though you would have felt a lot better on Saturday morning if you hadn't had a 2.5 hour drive to do back to Droitwich, we have some great fish and chips here too ;o)

No comments: